Sad news: Chad Plummer has died. Obituary sent in by Bill M.
Chad W. Plummer, 33, of Laramie, WY died Friday, May 9, 2014, in an automobile accident near Laramie, WY. He was born in Elko, NV on Sept 30, 1980 to Rayne and Rex Plummer; graduated from Sparks High School where he was 2-time All-State wrestling champ. He continued to wrestle while attending UW and worked for the Forest Service as a member of the Black Mountain Hotshots firefighting crew. He fought fires with the hotshots after graduation, but while in school he’d fallen in love with the Laramie Valley, its people, its lifestyle, and he would never leave. He worked seasonally as a firefighter for the FS in Laramie and worked tirelessly to learn all he could about all things ranching. He attended Oklahoma State horseshoeing school and became an accomplished Ferrier. He lived and worked on the Dalles Ranch with his friends Mike and Sally and enjoyed learning the business of raising cattle. He began operating a small sawmill on the ranch and had plans to build a house and expand the lumber business.
Chad was an exceptional outdoorsman and enjoyed hunting, fishing and trapping. He worked as a fishing guide before going to work for the Forest Service in Laramie. His skills with the drift boat were enjoyed by his friends and family who he would take fishing on rivers throughout the west. He was also the finest of hunting partners. He could endure harsh conditions with a smile and relished in the success of others. Chad enjoyed living life on his terms. He always gave freely of his time and skills to help others and his easy going ways and wry humor made him a pleasure to be with.
He is survived by his mother Rayne and father David Niehaus, sister Hanna Niehaus, his grandmother Shirley Malloy and many aunts, uncles and cousins. A celebration of Chad’s life will be held at 2 pm on Wednesday, May 14 at the Montgomery-Stryker Funeral Home in Laramie, Wyoming. A Celebration of Life will be held in Reno, Nevada at a later date. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Wildland Firefighter Foundation.